Michael Burnett

Age 38
Cardiff-by-the-Sea, California



So how did you first get into zine culture? Where zines more prevalent when you were a youth?

Growing up in Texas I saw a couple of skate 'zines here and there and few punk rock ones, but nothing much. When I went to college in Colorado in the early '90s I decided to start one of my own, which was a good way to try to learn photography and to practice writing and making magazines. 'Zines may have been more prevalent when I was a kid, but pre-Internet you were extremely limited communication-wise. It was hard to even know who was making them and how to get ahold of them. Thrasher did 'zine features sometimes with lists of addresses. You would send $1 and hope you got something back. When I made my first 'zine, Feedbag, in the early '90s I would trade 'zines with probably ten other 'zines, almost all skateboarding-based. I have a feeling there was way more going on with punk 'zines in those days but I wasn't as interested in those.


What is more rewarding to you, the behind the scenes skate photos or the more structured flash photos?

I like both of them. A rewarding photo to me is one that tells a little bit about the drama of life on Earth. It should has some story-telling and emotional heft. This is more an issue of timing, composition and luck rather than equipment.  Every genre of photography has cliches and trends. Sometimes you get lucky. The longer I do this, I'm definitely drawn to the quieter moments, however.


It seems like skateboard tours are a big influence on your photography, in your zine "Tore Back" it shows this lifestyle perfectly, is there a lot of opportunity to shoot on these trips?

Yeah, I think the best stuff comes from just living your life and skate tours are like my work life in fast-forward. I make it a rule to have my camera around my neck at all times on those trips. I don't want to miss anything. The whole trip is one big opportunity. Actually, your whole life is!


.How do you juggle Digital and analog photography, is there one that you prefer?

I'm almost 100% digital now. I shot film for over ten years and loved it, but the pace of my work and lack of professional labs in my city make shooting film a huge pain in the ass. You can't put the toothpaste back in the tube, I'm afraid. If I was rich and had a leisurely schedule I would like nothing better than to shoot film and use my Hasselblads and XPan all day.


By making zines as a kid, is working at Thrasher a dream come true? What keeps you pushing?

Yes, but I only figured out that it could become a job right before it happened. This is hard to explain to people who grew up with the Internet and digital photography, but when I started it was insanely hard to figure out 1.how to get your photos decent and 2. how to get a job at a magazine. I seriously lucked out somehow. I still can't believe it sometimes. As far as what keeps me pushing, I really love making magazines. The whole process is fun for me. I keep finding new ways to entertain myself with writing and photography and I love getting to go on trips and adventures whenever I want. It's also an honor to create something for people that means so much to them.

 

What do you plan on working on/accomplishing in 2012?

I want to start putting together another photo book, make a few small documentary videos, keep making Thrasher, keep skating and be a good dad and husband. I want to care about everything I do and not get bored or jaded or take what I have for granted.