Matheus Chiaratti

Age 23
São Paulo, Brazil
www.matheuschiaratti.com



How is it working at one of the top fashion magazines? What sort of role do you play at Vice?

Vice gives me the opportunity to meet many talented and creative people. My role here is to accompany the journalist in his task assignments, from the most bizarre to the most exciting ones, like when I was photographing foreign prisoners in the only prison for foreigners in Latin America. I could also write small articles about young Brazilian photographers who have an interesting job and fit in Vice’s proposed look, such as Clara Canepa, Adelaide Ivanova, Pedro Moura, etc. (http://www.vice.com/pt_br/read/sobrinha-neta-de-um-bebe-gigante)


It seems as if a lot of photographers are coming out of brazil? How's the art scene there?

It is true, there are many emerging young photographers, who use photography as a means to express themselves and communicate their universe through beautiful images. I think, however, that there is a lack of means of publication that covers all those who want to have their works displayed, published, and have not had the opportunity so far, at least here in Brazil. One sees a lot of talented people without means of communication. Social networks in this regard are our salvation. I believe that there is a lack of organization among all seeking to make this production salable and cohesive.


Do you have any advice for the readers who are trying to land a job in the magazine industry?

You need to know what the communication vehicle wants from you and then, by means of certain media, seek their individuality as a photographer, his universe, his ways of view. There are many people doing this such as: Eudes Santana, Synchrodogs, Cassia Tabatini, Ana Kras, many people who managed to communicate with the industry without “robotizing” their art however.


The subject of your photos tends to change quite a bit. How do you balance nature photos and youth photos? How do they work together?

I photograph what I live. Nature has always been an attractive theme; after all I grew up with it. I lived in the countryside and my landscapes were rivers, green grass, plants, etc. Youth is what I am, what my friends are, so to some extent it represents my universe and my life now. Themes change with life. My friends and I will not be young forever and we must reinvent our art and the topics will arise consequently.



Any plans for the future?

I want to invest in what I enjoy doing the most, in what I know how to do, and if there are no means and publication channels, let us create ourselves our own ways! These are my plans, create a magazine, a zine, whatever it is, in order to show and expose all Flickr talented people, who know that photography is not immediate, everyday, that photography is a painting of ourselves.