Van Robinson

19 going on 20
San Luis Obispo, California


What do you think is original in photography? 

I feel like it is much harder to produce original work nowadays because of the internet, and the mass amounts of photographs being posted online every second. I almost feel like it is impossible to come up with an original idea, now I think it is more about how you present your work. I am most interested by photos that are presented in a different way than I am used to seeing, in a way that you wouldn't typically see or think of. I get really into collages, and colors and textures being used against or with photographs. 
What do you think about the zine culture?

I have fallen in love with printed matter, especially zines in the past 6 months. People have been making zines for a very long time, but it feels like now since internet photography has been around for a while, the desire to see things in print is getting much more popular. Which I really am happy about, I like seeing zines and books that an artist has put a lot of time and effort in to making. I personally have made 3 zines (3rd isn't released yet). And with each one I feel like I learn so much more about design, printing techniques, and what to put into them. I am really excited to release my 3rd zine (Bad Boys Brigade).

What is the deal with the whole "Bad Boys Brigade"?

Bad Boys Brigade is a personal project that I started in October about a few close friends who really are wild. My group tries to follow as little laws as possible. But due to some legal complications, I could no longer live the way that they live. So instead of not hanging out with them, I decided to just follow with my camera rather than taking part. I ended up getting some photos of fun stuff, and decided to make a zine out of the project. I am pleased with how the whole project/ zine turned out, and I am hoping to release it by the end of January. I will be selling it on my website, and it should be available at a few other online stores as well. 


Your photos are very structured, does this reflect your personal life?

Certainly not, 2011 was one of the most unpredictable and stressful years of my life. I honestly have never thought of my photos being structured though, maybe its just a subconscious thing I do when composing and editing to try to gain some control over something. 


Where do you see yourself in a month? 5 years?

In a month, hopefully working on a very big job (if everything goes according to plan). In 5 years, hopefully in NYC or Philly hanging out with friends, shooting photos, having a personal studio, who knows. All I can hope is that 2012 is a turning point for me, I have a feeling it will be.