Mario Arruda

Age 22
São leopoldo, RS - Brazil
www.flickr.com/photos/arruda_mario

 
How is Brazil? From your photos it looks pretty wild.
brazil is really big and i live at the south, there are many differences among all the states, but i considere the country a good place to live. or not... there are some features that i don't appreciate, like difficult to make some things, or be accepted by the society (mainly when the oppinion is not the same of the big communication companies)  . i want to change this and make this through my images (even unconsciously) , showing in them my point of view and my feelings about how it can be possible another approach. maybe in my pictures brazil seems how i like to see it, not how it's really.



Are you more about capturing what you observe, or capturing what is on your mind?
recently, i've noted that my pictures show more what is my mind. it's because i had a time of my life with some problems and i was not happy with the state of things. so, i ended up geting some images about how i'm feeling, forgetting what i'm seeing, what probably it happened in my life too. however, i always have some pictures from real scenes that i saw with pleasure. i think i need to take pictures of all that i love or it scares me.

Most of work has a certain angst to it, does this reflect your personality?
i had to search the meaning of angst but, yes, i think this can reflect my personality. last year i was never happy with my life and what happened in it. i couldn't deal with my problems (my car was stolen, i had problems with people that i love, my parents need health), my year was a shit, but i liked it. i tried to wake up for months, because it was like i would be inside my head all the time. always thinking about the life. it was a shit heuahuea 


 You seem to have a real minimalist approach to photography, is this true?
i dont' know, all stuff in arts that i most like has a minimalist approach (like punk or lo-fi music. i really like guided by voices and daniel jonhston for example), so i think this is really affect my photography. i don't like big productions before or after the moment of the shot. i try to use the moments of my life to take almost all my pictures using an equipment that brings a concrete aesthetic for the moments, that's why i'm using only analog cameras. i think this way the error in the proccess is more acceptable and the results reflect better how i'm seeing everything around me. 


What was your inspiration and ideas behind camera diynamite? Future plans?
camera diynamite is a zine project i have with matheus bazzo (http://www.flickr.com/photos/mthsbzz/). we are ending the first edition that will have pictures of photographers we met on the internet and has the aesthetic we are looking for. we like wild and supertense images, but i don't know the reason clearly. my influences are from night life, when all seems more funny at the same time that it's more deep and mysterious - this is the supertense part for me. the wild part is about make all that we want without fear - it's a will to be free in this world without waiting a revolution in the system to have a happy and complete life (hakin bey and his book TAZ influence me a lot).

the future plan is print the first zine and keep posting nice pics in our tumblr (
http://cameradiynamite.tumblr.com/) for making the second edition.