Miller Rodriguez aka PRETTYPUKE

Age 24
Sherman Oaks, California
www.prettypuke.com


Miller Rodriguez is a unique individual with a unique style of photography. In a sense we are all weird people but MR really embraces it fully, that is what drags me to his photos. The absolute pureness of self that poured into his work really sets Miller away from all the other youth photographers I think, a lot of youth photographers seem to capture the weirdness in life, MR seems to live it. Anyways here is a short Q and A with Miller Rodriguez, AKA Pretty Puke, explaining to us really what he is all about. Enjoy.





So on your tumblr it states you are weird and comlex with o.c.d., some great artists have o.c.d., if you really have it, how does this characteristic influence you work? Good or bad? 
It helps me stay organized but it can also be a huge distraction. I think taking pictures is a great stabilizer, except now I’m hoarding like 30 cameras and my instinct is to clean. It’s one of my more manageable mental problems so I can’t complain.  


Your blog, pretty puke, has a pretty interesting name. What is the point of the name? 
 Does the name in a way express your work as a whole?  I think so. Its sort of like people stopping to look at a car accident. Its this sick thing but you just can’t help yourself.  


It seems as if in your portraits that you don't include any faces, why is that? 
I think they can be distracting and take away from the subject matter. I like to focus more on a person’s situation and area, its also easier to distance yourself from them and move on if you don’t have this face to look at and reason with forever.    



Explain your views on youth culture? How does it apply to you and your photography?  
I mean I am young and alive so I think it applies to everything.  


You have some pretty intense photos, are you an intense person or do you just get mixed up in intense situations?  
I am intense and can overwhelm people but my actions have definitely chilled out a lot over the past few years. I’m usually just observing when (and if) I’m ever out which is why I see some pretty weird stuff. Its right there, I’m just looking for it.  


In your photos I find a lot of sense of humor in them, is that intentional?  
> Yes, but there’s humor in almost everything if you look for it. Some of my stuff is actually very sad but I guess its all mixed in there. That’s life I guess.


What are your plans for 2012? Hypothetically if you knew for a fact the world was ending this year what would you want to do?  
My plan for 2012 is  2 keep living this thug lyf & always keep creepin' with my eye's wide open. 
if my peeps were 2 die I would want 2 hug all them all at once.  
end